According to the experts email marketing is alive and kicking – so why does most of what lands in your inbox look worn out and in need of help?
Did you know that the average email click through rate is about 2.4%?
There’s a science behind creating memorable and appealing emails that nurture your contacts and convert them into sales. And today’s customer has become extremely net-savvy and expect small businesses to evolve with them. They demand engaging communication and enticing offers, making it so much harder to have your message read.
Whether you’re sending a regular newsletter or a one off special offer, our 10 top tips should help make your next email marketing campaign be a success:
1. DON’T BE A ROBOT Personalise your email using your reader’s name and you’ll increase the likelihood of it being opening by as much as 60%. And don’t be afraid to show your sense of humour and personality.
2. GROW YOUR LIST ORGANICALLY Develop a quality list of email addresses sourced from your own customer referrals, social media or website efforts.
3. HOSTED SOLUTION Hosted email providers supply you with access to design templates, reporting and monitoring tools.
4. TIMING Try testing your emails at different times of the day and week and monitor your audiences open rates. A good place to start is before lunch or in the early afternoon. And keep testing.
5. DON’T SPAM It’s important to create a balance between action and rejection, because if you annoy people and getting unsubscribes, you’ll have an epic fail.
6. KNOW THY AUDIENCE Ask your audience how often they want to hear from you. Let them tell you whether they prefer to hear from you weekly, monthly or quarterly.
7. STRIKE A BALANCE With the copious amounts of emails we receive on a daily basis, it’s a delicate balance to strike between your sell and your content. Avoid selling to your readers and give them something valuable, entertaining or informative instead.
8. TESTING 1-2-3 Ask someone else to proof read your email before you send it out ‘for real’. Typos can be embarrassing and look unprofessional.
9. USE THE KISS PRINCIPLE Make sure the copy is simple, jargon free and includes a strong call-to-action.
10. BRANDING Make sure your readers are receiving consistent branding messages. Ensure your email branding has the same look and feel of your other marketing materials.
Did you know that 1 in 5 Aussie email marketing campaigns are caught in spam filters? Find out how to avoid the trap here.
Need some help to spice up your email marketing? Contact us now to talk about how we can help.
Email: email@example.com or phone Mobile: 0438 439 577 or Postal Address: PO Box 464 Maleny Q 4552 – Sunshine Coast
Written by: Melissa Chaddock